Office: 1005 MacKinnon Extension
- Masculinity and male sexuality in medieval Europe, theological and cultural ideas about gender and sexuality in medieval Europe, theological and cultural ideas about marriage and family in medieval Europe.
Areas of Research for Graduate Supervision
- Medieval social and ecclesiastical history
- History of sexuality
- Women in the Middle Ages
- 2006 “Sexual Mutilation and Castration Anxiety: A Medieval Perspective,” in The Boswell Thesis. Essays on Christianity, Social Tolerance, and Homosexuality. Ed. Mathew Kuefler. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, Pp. 254-72.
- 2005 “Historicizing Sex, Sexualizing History,” in Writing Medieval History. Ed. Nancy Partner. London: Hodder, Pp. 133-52.
- 2004 “Masculinizing Religious Life: Sexual Prowess, the Battle for Chastity and Monastic Identity” in Holiness and Masculinity. Ed. K.J. Lewis and P. Callum. Cardiff: University of Wales Press, Pp. 24-42.
- 2002 “‘The law of sin that is in my members’: The Problem of Male Embodiment,” in Gender and Holiness. Men, Women and Saints in Late Medieval Europe. Ed. by Samatha J.E. Riches and Sarah Salih. London: Routledge. pp. 9-22.
- 2001 Love, Marriage and the Family in the Middle Ages. A Reader. Peterborough, ON: Broadview Press. Pp. xiv, 524.
- 2000 “Blessing Unions Through the Ages,” National Post (Dec 7, 2000), A18.
- 1999 Conflicted Identities and Multiple Masculinities: Men in the Medieval West. Edited by Jacqueline Murray. New York: Garland. Pp. xx, 308.
- 1999 “Mystical Castration: Some Reflections on Peter Abelard, Hugh of Lincoln and Sexual Control,” in Conflicted Identities and Multiple Masculinities: Men in the Medieval West. Ed. by Jacqueline Murray. New York: Garland Press. Pp. 73-91.
- 1998 “Individualism and Consensual Marriage: Some Evidence from Medieval England,” in Women, Marriage, and the Family in Medieval Christendom. Essays in Memory of Michael M Sheehan. Ed. by Joel T Rosenthal and Constance M Rousseau. Kalamazoo: Medieval Institute Publications, Western Michigan University. Pp. 121-51.
- 1998 “Gendered Souls in Sexed Bodies: The Male Construction of Sexuality in Some Medieval Confessors’ Manuals,” in Handling Sin: Confession in the Middle Ages. Ed. by Peter Biller and A.J. Minnis. York, Eng.: Boydell & Brewer. Pp. 79-93.
- 1997 “Men’s Bodies, Men’s Minds: Seminal Emissions and Sexual Anxiety in the Middle Ages.” Annual Review of Sex Research 8 (1997): 1-26.
- 1996 Desire and Discipline. Sex and Sexuality in the Premodern West. Edited by Jacqueline Murray and Konrad Eisenbichler. Toronto: University of Toronto Press. Pp. xxviii, 315.
- editor, Marriage in Premodern Europe: Italy and Beyond (Toronto: Centre for Reformation and Renaissance Studies, 2012).
- editor and author introduction, A Miscellaneous Medievalist: Essays in Honour of Margaret Wade Labarge – special issue, Florilegium 28 (2011).
- with Ruth Mazo Karras, “The Sexual Body,” in A Cultural History of the Human Body, vol. 2., edited by Monica Green (London: Berg, 2010), 63-80.
- “One Flesh, Two Sexes, Three Genders?” in Professing Gender in Medieval Europe: New Perspectives, edited by Lisa Bitel and Felice Liftchitz (Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2008), 52-75.