Office: HH 112
Since my student days in the 1960s the main focus of my research and writing, and of my extracurricular activities, has been the issue of racial justice. This began with an interest in the African-Canadian community in Nova Scotia, and has over the years been extended to include other racialized minorities in Canada, the Holocaust, and international human rights. I continue to research and teach in this general area, exploring the evolution of public policies intended to address social injustices. My current SSHRC-funded project is entitled “‘Look Over Jordan’: The Canadian Journey Toward Racial Equality”. I am also collaborating with B.A. “Rocky” Jones and George Elliott Clarke on a book about the Black Movement in 1960s Canada.
- “Forty Years in the Wilderness: The Indian Diaspora and Canadian Citizenship”, Directions: Research from the Canadian Race Relations Foundation, Vol. 4 (2008.)
- Critical Mass: The Emergence of Global Civil Society (with Andrew Thompson), Centre for International Governance Innovation and Wilfrid Laurier University Press, 2008.
- “Approaching African-Canadian History”, in David Divine, ed., Multiple Lenses: Voices from the Diaspora, Cambridge Scholar Publishing, 2008.
- “Responding to Racism in Canada: Problems and Policies in Historical Perspective”, background paper prepared for the Ontario Human Rights Commission, 2006.
- “A Jewel in the Mosaic: India in Canadian Immigration Policy”, in C.S. Raj and A. Nafey, eds., Canada’s Global Engagements and Relations with India, Manak Publishing House, New Delhi, 2006.
- “The ‘Jewish Phase’ in the Movement for Racial Equality in Canada,” Canadian Ethnic Studies, Vol. 34 (2002).
- “Human Rights in a Multicultural Framework: Defining Canadian Citizenship, 1945-1970,” Canadian Issues/Themes Canadiens (February 2002).
- “African Canadians,” in P. R. Magosci, ed., An Encyclopedia of Canada’s Peoples, University of Toronto Press, 1999.
- “A Case for Morality: The Quong Wing Files,” in F. Iacovetta and W. Mitchinson, eds., On the Case: Explorations in Social History, University of Toronto Press, 1998.
- “Race”, Rights and the Law in the Supreme Court of Canada. Osgoode Society for Canadian Legal History and Wilfrid Laurier University Press, 1997.
- The Black Loyalists. Second edition, University of Toronto Press, 1992.
- Racial Discrimination in Canada. Canadian Historical Association, Ottawa, 1985.