Office: 1010 MacKinnon Extension
- 19th and 20th Century Scotland
- History of Punishment and Social Control
- Child Welfare, 19th and 20th Century
Selected Publications (Books)
- 1996 Bernard Schissel and Linda Mahood (eds.), Social Control in Canada: Issues in the Social Construction of Deviance, Toronto, Oxford University Press, pp. 425.
- 1995 Policing Gender, Class and Family, 1850-1945 London: University College London Press
- 1990 The Magdalenes: Prostitution in the Nineteenth Century London: Routledge
Selected Articles and Chapters
- (2007 forthcoming) “Eglantyne Jebb: Remembering, Representing and Writing a Rebel Daughter,” Women’s History Review.
- (2006) “Elementary Teaching as Toil: The Diary and Letters of Miss Eglantyne
Jebb, a Gentlewoman Schoolmistress.” History of Education Journal, Spring.
- 2002 “Feminists, politics and charity: the formation of the Save the Children Fund”, Voluntary Action: The Journal of the Institute of Volunteering Research, Vol.6, number 1, Winter 2002, pp. 71-82.
- 2002 “‘Give Him a Doing’: The Birching of Young Offenders in Scotland”, Canadian Journal of History, XXXVII, December, 2002, pp. 439-457.
- 1999 “The disbudding of flowers: the historical construction of female adolescent delinquincy” in Gendering Scottish History (eds) T. Brotherstone, D. Simonton, O. Walsh. Glasgow: Cruithne Press.
- 1997 Linda Mahood and Barbara Littlewood, ‘Daughters in Danger: The Case of “Campus Sex Crime” in Alison M. Thomas and Celia Kitzinger (eds.) Sexual Harassment: Contemporary Feminist Perspectives, London, Open University Press, Canadian Distribution, University of British Columbia Press, pp. 157-171.
- 1996 Linda Mahood, ‘Campus Sex Crime, Journalism, and Social Control’ in B. Schissel and Linda Mahood (eds.) Social Control in Canada: Issues in the Social Construction of Deviance, Toronto, Oxford University Press, pp. 352-372.
- 1993 “Reconstructing Girlhood: Putting “Clever” Girls in Science” Canadian Women Studies, Vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 91-95
- 1991 With Barbara Littlewood, “Prostitutes, Magdalenes, and Wayward Girls: Dangerous Sexualities of Working Class Women in Victorian Scotland”, Gender and History, Vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 160-175.